Friday, February 22, 2008

POST OFFICES/ GARDENS SURVEY

POST OFFICE CLOSURES
& PROTECTING STREETS AND GARDENS
 
Sent on behalf of Valerie Shawcross AM
 
 
Planning survey results
Thank you so much to the 255 people who completed my "Protecting London's Streets and Gardens" survey. The results of the survey are now available on my website http://www.valshawcross.com/index.php?id=352.
The vast majority of you agreed with me that councils need more planning powers to protect the character of our area. I am using the results of the survey to keep up the pressure on Ken Livingstone to bring these proposals forward as soon as possible. I will be posting the further updates on this issue in the Campaigns section of my website http://www.valshawcross.com/index.php?id=351
Post Offices Survey
As many of you will have heard, on Tuesday Post Office Ltd announced that they wish to close 171 post office branches in London - 14 of which are in Lambeth & Southwark.
I am extremely angry at the proposals. Post Offices play a vital link in the social and economic life of local communities. I am very worried that at a time when we are seeking to regenerate poorer areas of London that local shopping parades will be hit by the loss of an important local service which attracts shoppers to use their local shops and facilities. I am particularly concerned that the criteria for access to Post Offices has been downgraded in London - previously deprived communities in London had to be within a half mile of a post office. Now this has been reduced to 1 mile. I will be making strong representations to Post Office Ltd and I would encourage any one worried about the impact of losing these post offices to do the same.
I am seeking to gather evidence and views about Post Offices to help strengthen my response to the consultation and I have launched a new survey which I would be very grateful if you could take the time to complete http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=ztoyudu9qi9pdvl397535
Please feel free to circulate this email to any of your friends and contacts who you think would be interested.
Kind regards
Valerie Shawcross AM
LONDON Assembly Member
Lambeth & Southwark
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
London
SE1 2AA
020 7983 4371
www.london.gov.uk
Fax: 020 7983 4418

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]