Thursday, January 18, 2007

junction issues

JUNCTION DEBATE   FUDGE OR FOUNTAIN ??
 
 
 
Dear Derek and BP MAC members,

Thanks for the letter re junction debate. Here's my own view.

Point one: We shouldn't get hung up on a few yards this way or that. The
junction needs to be improved and widened so that traffic can filter into
Dulwich Road as intended. However, this is only part of the improvements
which also require proper 'no parking' enforcement outside the shops on
Norwood Road to allow traffic to turn into Croxted Road and other measures.

Point two: I would like to see a traffic island large enough to form part of
an attractive entrance to the park. By that I mean the island should be made
more than just a place for people to wait while the lights change (it also
has to let traffic cross when entering the park).  I think it should be
imaginatively designed with elements such as a water feature combined with
other sculptural elements that will enhance the entrance to the park and
which will help form the identity of the park to people passing by. The
sound and movement of water is calming and soothing to people having to wait
- both pedestrians and drivers. Obviously it has to be designed in such a
way as not to be a distraction and therefore a potential hazard but there a
plenty of examples of this I have seen abroad (haven't we all?).

So I think we should try to make the most of this opportunity and sell it as
1) an enhancement to the entrance 2) an encouragement to people to enter the
park.  At the moment the current arrangements are a death trap and form a
disgraceful and abysmal approach to what is one of London's foremost parks.
Now I push my grandson in his pram I see how unsatisfactory this entrance is
and it discourages many people from going to Brockwell if they have
children.

If anyone supports my view I would be grateful if they would get in touch
(af.walker@ntlworld.com). I would like to research the pros and cons of
water in public spaces and would welcome any help so that a proper case
could be put forward.

By the way, I think there should be toilets near the park entrance (partly
to avoid the bus drivers having to piss in the bushes!) but always
understood that the new design would remove the toilets from their present
site.

Regards to all

Andy Walker

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]